Run Club & COVID-19
The Right Shoe Run Club fall session will begin on Tuesday September 8th!
Health and safety measures will be in place to ensure we can all run happily & safely. Let’s all cooperate to ensure training and running is a positive and fun experience.
Please be patient as well. We're in this together and continuing to exercise is an important part of our wellbeing!
What to Expect at the Store:
1. If you feel at all unwell, please stay home. You can use this self-assessment tool https://ca.thrive.health/covid19/en.
2. Parking lot flow
- Please arrive no earlier than 5:45pm to Tuesday training sessions or 7:45am to Sundays.
- Do not park in the back parking lot. We need room to meet outside and spread out.
3. Store flow
- The store is open! Yes, you can shop.
- Please enter through the back door. The door will be open.
- Use the hand sanitizer at the back entrance before you enter.
- Capacity in store will be restricted to two runners at a time.
- Please use the downstairs bathroom. Wash your hands and use a paper towel to turn off the taps and open the doors.
- Return outside when you are done inside.
- In-store safety measures in place. Follow the signage.
4. Gear storage – Yes, you may store your bags and extra clothing layers in the store. Please leave them by the backdoor on the floor.
5. Bike storage - For all of us keen bike commuters, yes you may bring your bike inside the store and leave it during the run.
6. Water & hydration - bring your own water bottles, hydration packs/fuel belts. You can store a water bottle near our workout site during the main set and take sip breaks.
What to Expect During Workouts:
1. Physical Distancing - We're lucky we can be outside! Runners will be divided into pace groups with our amazing run leaders. Small run pods will help to create distance. Please pay extra attention to stay spaced apart during the warm up, main set and cool downs.
2. Workout Format
- Introduction - This will be outside - rain or shine.
- Dynamic warm up - in the back parking lot - make sure you are two arms away, so if you reach each of your arms out without touching the person next to you, this is your gauge.
- Warm up - we'll roll out in pace groups, as 4's, 5's, 6's, 7's & walk/run - spaced 30 sec apart with each group.
- Main Set - as usual, we'll run to a specific location, have a brief stretch spaced apart like the dynamic warm up. Roll out for the main set the same way as above. Please stay in your pace group. Maintain distance of two arm lengths/2m during your run! I will plan out routes to ensure we are not around crowds.
- Cool down - run easy back to the store in your pace group. Brief stretch back at the parking lot, again staying apart.
- Distanced high fives and then head home!
Looking forward to seeing you all soon and running strong again!
Incorporating a running/walking program into your daily routine can be a healthy and rewarding lifestyle choice. Click on a club below for more details and upcoming schedules:
REFER A FRIEND:
Our Run Leader, Lara Penno
B.Sc. Exercise Science
FMS level 2 certified trainer
Coach - Run, Bike, Triathlon
Lara has over 20 years experience as a personal trainer, run and triathlon coach. In Vancouver she has lead The RIGHT Shoe run (and tri) clinics for 13 years. Previously, Lara coached the Momentum Fitness triathlon club for 2 years and lead the Westmount YMCA women’s running club in Montreal for 2 years.
On a personal level, over the past 22 years Lara has competed in over 50 triathlons including Ironman Canada in 1998, and too many road races to count ranging from 5k distance to marathons. She lead her varsity track and x-country running team at Concordia University for 2 years, receiving rookie of the year and MVP.
Lara is passionate about running and exercise. She strives to pass this enthusiasm on to others through her coaching and personal training.
Please feel free to contact Lara through email if you have any questions! Click here to email Lara Penno.
BE WELL Running Tips
Coach Lara has lots of great tips and info to help your running and training go smoothly, safely and happily. Click on the following links to learn to RUN WELL...
Frequently Asked Questions
The RIGHT Shoe has three different distance running clubs that run throughout the year, once or twice a week. Learn to Run Club, 10K Tuesday Club and Half/Full Marathon Club.
Incorporating a running/walking program into your daily routine can be a healthy and rewarding lifestyle choice. There is a multitude of reasons why people choose to begin an exercise program. For some it is an outlet for stress, for others it is to lose those extra pounds. It may simply be the joy of being active in an outdoor environment. Maybe you need a goal to focus on such as finishing the Sun Run, qualifying for the Boston Marathon, or entering your first triathlon. Whatever the motivation, it is our goal to give each participant helpful advice to improve his or her running. Training with a group provides motivation, camaraderie and support to keep you running and help you meet your goals.
Club instruction helps ensure you are running properly to prevent injury and there is always someone on hand to answer any questions you may have.
At The RIGHT Shoe we work hard to provide club members with a safe, informative, and most importantly, fun, environment to participate in this healthy and rewarding lifestyle.
Our clubs provide individual attention to each runner. Additionally, The RIGHT Shoe clubs are sponsored by Nike and New Balance, providing runners with additional perks.
The Learn to Run Club cost is $75 for 15 weeks+ tax. You may drop in for a fee of $6.
The 10K Tuesday Club $75 for 15 weeks + tax. You may drop into Tuesday for $6 and Sundays for $10.
The cost of the marathon and half-marathon clinic is $175+ tax. Drop in is $10.
* prices may vary slightly depending on the number of weeks in each season session.
The Learn to Run Tuesday Club starts and finishes at The RIGHT Shoe, Tuesdays at 6pm. The 10K Club also starts and finishes at The RIGHT Shoe at 6:00 pm on Tuesday and Sundays at 8:00 am. The Marathon and Half Marathon club meet on Sundays at 8:00 am for the longer runs and Tuesdays at 6:00pm for intensity runs.
Your registration includes top-notch instruction, invaluable fitness and health education and 15% VIP discount at The RIGHTShoe. Additional perks are included depending on the club you sign up for. At the end of the club there will be a social event to celebrate your achievements.
Refer a friend to one of The RIGHT Shoe run clubs and receive 50% off your fee when you sign up together! Or, split the difference and each receive 25% off.
The Learn to Run Run Club and 10K Club runs for 13-16 weeks depending on the season session and the Marathon/Half-Marathon Club runs for 16-18 weeks.
The RIGHT Shoe clubs are designed for all levels. Our various pace groups cater to all types of runners, from walk/runners to 6-minute milers. Everyone in the group follows the same workout but, at their own pace.
Meet at The RIGHT Shoe for most workouts. Lara Penno, our Run Leader, will introduce the workout and then we will head out on our planned route and begin our workout.
Yes. However, if you have missed more than the first few session, it is recommended that you wait for the next session in order to reap the full benefits of the Run Club. Drop-in fees for all clubs are available - $6 for Tuesdays and $10 for Sundays.